Recently I had een issue with backing up an Exchange 2010 database.
This was because the Exchange environment was migrated from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 and because of that a lot of logfiles where generated in the mailbox database directory.
Because of this the I was not able to backup the mailbox database with any backup software.
For example, I got the following error in Microsoft DPM.
“DPM has detected a discontinuity in the log chain for Storage group StorageGroup
on ServerName since the last synchronization. (ID 30216 Details: Unspecified error (0×80004005))”
- Dismount Mailbox Databases in the Storage Group;
- Move all .log files from the Exchange database directory to another directory;
- Mount the databases again, all logfiles ar gone and you should now be able to perform a backup;
- You can delete the moved logfiles when everything is working correctly again.
Use the EMC to dismount a database
You need to be assigned permissions before you can perform this procedure. To see what permissions you need, see the "Database permissions" entry in the Mailbox Permissions topic.
- In the console tree, navigate to Organization Configuration > Mailbox.
- In the result pane, select the server on which the mailbox or public folder database is located.
- In the work pane, select the database that you want to dismount.
- In the action pane, click Dismount Database.
- A warning appears asking if you want to dismount the database. Click Yes.
For more information about a Database dismount in Exchange 2010 see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123903.aspx